Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tool #10

1. Three things I would want to make sure my students understand about being good digital citizens are to be able to discern a good website from a bad one, being able to access credible sources using databases and advanced Google searches, knowing the importance of password security and what cyberbullying is.
2. BrainPop has several lessons tied to digital citizenship that I have used already with my students and will continue to use.
3. One example to teach digital citizenship to my students would be to show them how I do Google searches and use some of the advanced tools and also show them that there are a lot of bogus sites out there by having them go to one to see for themselves. I think the BrainPop videos and quizzes are also effective to use to talk more about digital citizenship.
4. I would like to share some of the blogs I read with parents so they can read more about digital citizenship. I especially liked http://rhondda.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/digital-literacy-and-the-classroom/ and would share it with them on open house night and post on my classroom website as a place to begin. Our school has also hosted several parent nights to discuss things like Facebook and other digital citizenship issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment